Monday, September 18, 2006

Buenos dias, mi amigos.

I walked to school this morning by myself so that I could walk at my own pace (we´ve been leaving casa ovalle with 5 or 10 minutes to spare...i hate walking to school with a sense of panic) and so that I could log on quickly and write to ya´all.

We traveled to Volcan Pacaya on Saturday. Hell of a way to remember a birthday. Let´s just say that it was HELLA DIFFICULT for me (Chad loved every minute of it) and I rode a horse most of the way, thanks to 2 new friends from Portland who lent me the 40 quetzales (remember, 1 dollar is 7.5 q) so that i could cling to the poor animal for dear life...I was thinking, the ascent is killing my knees, so I want to ride this horse...but now i´m realizing that riding a HORSE up a 45 degree angle is scarier...at one point i had to get down because it was too steep of an angle...however, all in all, it was pretty amazing and i don´t regret it at all. i didn´t actually go as far up as chad and fran did. (my knees, i had to go to the bathroom, i was wearing my keens...rocks and volcanic dirt in my shoes...i was tired...i´m out of shape...) so i sat at the bottom of the volcano and watched lightening flash from behind the volcano, lighting up the entire sky...watched lava flow down from the right side...looked at the glow of red emenating from the top of the volcano...the lights from the pueblo below, in the valley...and thought about all of you and prayed for my next year and all of my family and friends. that was my birthday trip.

hasta,

geraldina

3 Comments:

At September 18, 2006 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! You snuck that one past me. What a cool way to spend one's birthday, huh? I bet you had NO IDEA on your last birthday that you'd be sitting on the side of an active volcano a year later! Wow, that's cool. I look forward to seeing your photos. Tell Fran and Chad I said !Telefonos no hay, pero tu tienes ojos como un raton!

 
At September 19, 2006 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

!Feliz cumplean~os, Geraldina! A 45 degree angle is pretty daunting, but an active volcano is pretty durned exciting stuff. Keep up the good work. Here's your phrase to ask to permission to take a photo: "?Esta bien sacar una foto?" Foto is one of those aggravating words that ends in o but is feminine. Go figure!

 
At September 21, 2006 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Cumpleanos felices, Ger! Estoy viajando con vosotros por su blog. What a great experience. Love to see photos!

Cheers,
Hara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home